Friday 3 May 2013

Moonlight Trek : Katraj to Sinhagad



Saturday night of 27th April 2013 was very special and exciting for a bunch of crazy people. It was the second night after a full moon night. Our trekking group was toying the idea of a night trek for a very long time. We had discussed the destinations but had no clue how to go about. We had heard a lot about a  trek from Katraj Tunnel to Sinhagad which you can do only near the full moon night.  But none of us knew how to go about it.
I started surfing on the internet and found lot of information about the trek except for the route map. Everyone expressed a common view. There is no specific map or route which can be described. You just need to follow the red light of TV tower standing high on the Sinhagad Fort. Keep walking till you reach the foot of Sinhagad. That is about it. This was an amazing information. This was supported by a senior trekker Mrs. Nadgir (Age 65) who had accomplished this trek several times. She told that she was going this time also hence we decided to cling to her.
This trek is supposed to be very tough and challenging. The route is un-trodden and is full of surprises. Total distance is around 17 Kms. You need to climb up and down 13 hills which have thorny shrubs. Some of the slopes are very risky since there is nothing to hold on to and are slippery.
The Journey Begins:
We met at Swargate bus stand at 9.30 pm and were astonished to see the trekkers flocking in from everywhere. There were people from all age groups and all walks of life. Three buses full of trekkers left for Katraj Tunnel. We disembarked from the bus amd were bubbling with excitement.  We started following the trekkers who had already started walking.  We climbed the hill on the left side of the road and here it began.
Our group is really excited and charged up now. We start following the footsteps and get going. The first hill is steep and I lag behind. I am accompanied by my husband Chandan and his friend Anirudh. They are too fast and reach the top. Obviously they have a reason to call out my name because they cannot see me in the dark. I am close to them after some time and here we get going. Moon looks down upon us from the sky. We spend some time appreciating the moon light and put our torch to sleep. After a few steps we start climbing down the hill.
The Point of No Return:
And here is another peak as we climb down. We now realize what we are into. The entire night we are going to climb up and down the peaks till we reach the Sinhagad Hill which can be identified easily due to the red blinking light on the TV tower.  I am nervous and ask Chandan and Anirudh if I can change my mind. Though I cannot see their faces I realize there is no escape now. This is point of no return. As I think while I take the next steps, I realize, this is like a journey of life. You must go on. There is no rewind or no forward. You must live every moment and keep walking. No moment can be relived. You need to look forward and leave the past behind. There is no escape till you reach the final destination.
As I walk behind Chandan and Anirudh I now start enjoying the process. Some people are walking fast some we cross leaving them behind. All have a common destination to reach but at varied pace. I am now able to look around. My eyes have been able to adjust with the moon light. I am able to see a thin line of torch light climbing up the next hill so I know now where I need to be next. That is one milestone. It suddenly strikes me; I will need to break down my goal in several parts. I now reconcile with myself and stop looking at that red light of the TV tower and reorient to the torch lights blinking and rising on the next hill. Just concentrate on the nearest goal. That is it.
Life is Full of Ascends and Descends:
We reach a dead lock now. Some trekker is scared to walk down the slope. It indeed is very risky. There is nothing to hold on to. One wrong step can let you take a huge slide down the valley. Everyone is lining up to climb down. As we take our turn and reach down, we heave a sigh of relief. I always thought all my life that slopes are enjoyable and signify the pleasure of enjoyment after you have reached the peak with great hardships. But for the first time in my life I realize, slopes can be many times difficult as compared to the hardships. In fact those who sustain the slopes or rather downfalls are the ultimate winners. First climb in your life may be difficult but first downfall is more painful. Those who are able to take it easy can climb the next height without difficulty.
We keep climbing the slopes with more ease and less pain now. We are no more afraid of slopes after going through the worse. But at the same time we are no way near that red flickering light of the TV tower. Stars are gazing at us and moon is staring. We see the round moon actually travelling with us. We have completed three quarters of our journey and are totally exhausted. We want to get this over at once. But there is no escape. We start discussing the possibilities of quitting and at that moment I receive a phone call from Nadgir Aunty. She asks me the location. I really can’t describe. I tell her we are on some hill top and all the hills look alike. She tells me you must be somewhere close to completion. Just get going and you will finish. It boosts our morale and we start walking. Our legs have stopped paining due to numbness. We just want to reach the tar road somehow.
The Ultimate Triumph:
We are told by one experienced trekker after crossing more hills that we are on the top of the final hill. Just one descend and we will be out on the tar road. We are overwhelmed. Our speed is better. It is already 5.30 am. We hear birds chirping but cannot appreciate anything anymore. We keep going and suddenly we land on the tar road. We are overwhelmed and cannot express how happy we are. It feels as if the world is conquered. The joy of landing on the road is inexpressible.
Life is a very long journey. It has several ups and downs. You need the same amount of zeal to climb up the hill and also exhibit the same enthusiasm while you descend. As I completed the trek I realized, how enormous the nature is. Journey of life is extremely complicated. It takes you through the complicated climbs and risky slopes. You need mighty mind to climb the steeps and at the same time modest mind to come down the slopes. The destination is know and the path unknown. But if you break down the path in smaller destinations you might succeed. Life is a long journey; though not endless is certainly edifying.

8 comments:

  1. Very nice. An appointment with the nature is always thrilling/ refreshing...Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes absolutely right. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its really amazing....
    After I experienced yesterdays climb at Sinhgad I understood how difficult it would have been for you ......
    I cam back to this blog & read again to experience the same....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done and well written too. Positive will always makes such kind of interesting tasks possible adding special flavor to life. Best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ajit. Yes the experience is enriching. Hope you join for the next treks as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rajiv,

    It certainly was out of the world. Thanks once again for sparing time to read.

    ReplyDelete

เคธुเคงाเคฐเคธ

เคธौ. เคธुเคงा เค—เคฃेเคถ เคธोเคตเคจी  เคค्เคฏांเคจा เคฎी เคœेเคต्เคนा เคช्เคฐเคฅเคฎ เคญेเคŸเคฒे เคคेเคต्เคนाเคš เคค्เคฏांเคšा เคช्เคฐेเคฎाเคค เคชเคกเคฒे.  เค†เคฃि เค†เคฎเคšे เคนे เคช्เคฐेเคฎाเคšे เคธुंเคฆเคฐ เคจाเคคे เคฌเค˜เคคा เคฌเค˜เคคा เคธเคต्เคตीเคธ เคตเคฐ्เคทांเคšे...